Sunday, March 19, 2017

Spring Garden Log -- March 19, 2017

A few more things planted this weekend - first I planted a kiddie pool with rice! 

I enjoy trying something new every year, and this is it for 2017....a variety called Carolina Gold. This rice has quite the history. Here's from the website:

Considered the "grandfather" of long-grain rice culture in North America, according to the Carolina Gold Rice Foundation, who supplied our seed. This historic variety is believed to have originated from African and Indonesian sources, and appeared as a distinct variety in Charles Towne, Carolina Colony, by 1685. Carolina Gold really inaugurated commercial rice production in North America. Its long grains having superior texture, and a taste reminiscent of almonds and green tea. Although commercial production declined after the Civil War, this superior variety is known and loved to this day. We're excited to offer a genuine piece of early Americana! 


Seeds laying on the bed, waiting to be covered.

I've read conflicting info about whether it needs to be flooded, but I'm planning to keep it pretty wet. From from I've read, rice can't take arid conditions. 

Also got my potato tower planted yesterday - this year I'm putting a mix of red, white and blue potatoes that I picked up at Tractor Supply. This works well for us, we don't get that many potatoes, but I enjoy what we do get.
 Filled about 3/4 full of soil.  Will add soil as the potatoes grow until it's almost full.


No comments:

Post a Comment