Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Summer Garden Notes -- August 3, 2016

"A garden is always a series of losses set against a few triumphs, like life itself." --- May Sarton


There's not much to report in the garden -- I've been harvesting quite a bit of okra still, and some tomatoes.  Today I froze another batch of tomatoes until I have enough to make more salsa.  

We started picking these melons that are growing on the fence at the potting garden.  I thought I had planted Long Ex Snake Melons, but I guess I had a mix up in the greenhouse and these turned out to be Crispy Melons (I had packs of both types of seeds.) I really usually do better then this, but I guess I'll need to get better at keeping track of what's what. Sigh....  Anyway, hope these turn out to be tasty.  We'll see.
This afternoon I started three tomatoes for the fall to pot up in the greenhouse when it cools down some. These are all full size tomatoes, I'm about full up on the cherry tomatoes right now. These are going on the kitchen sill for now.
I'm planning to cut back the peppers and the tomatoes this weekend - they need some relief from their legginess.  I'm hoping to keep these plants going until the first frost.  

No comments:

Post a Comment