Thursday, June 4, 2015

Too, too many tomatoes!

Goodness, we have sooo-o-o-o many tomatoes, and a big bunch of them were getting ripe, so today I made salsa!
One pound of jalapenos -- yes, I left the seeds -- deal with it...we like it hot!
Two pounds of onions
 Five pounds of ripe tomatoes -- peeled.
 Dump all in your food processor and then into a pot. Heat to boiling and simmer for about 10 minutes.  Add  1 cup of vinegar, 1 tablespoon of canning salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, and 1 teaspoon of cumin. You could add some cilantro, but I'm not a huge fan, so I leave it out.  Simmer while you sterilize your jars.  This made 6 pints.
Fill jars with 1/2" of space at the top, put on lids and process in boiling water bath for about 20 - 25 minutes.  Done!

I'll be making more of this since we'll have another 5 pounds of tomatoes ripe before next week.  Good thing we eat lots of salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment