Sunday, June 9, 2013

Weekend in the garden...


To own a bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch their renewal of life -- this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do. 

-Charles Dudley Warner, author, editor, and publisher (1829-1900) 


I didn't get to spend much time out in the garden this weekend, but this afternoon I took a quick turn out there.  It's too hot during the middle of the day to do much, so I'll wait until late today to try to do some watering.
Honestly, I'm going to call the bean tee-pee a complete disaster.  I wasn't even aware the the beans were already growing, since you can't really see much in that tangle, but here is just a small batch of what's out there waiting to be picked.  Oh my!  Most of these are the Selma Zesta Pole Beans, green with a purple speckle...a rattlesnake type bean.  VERY prolific and meaty.  I'm not sure if I've left them too long, may wish I had found them a lot younger...but I'll be sure to keep an eye on these to keep them picked younger from now on. There's also quite a few of the Blue Lake green beans, and I've found one of the Red Noodle beans.  No more tee-pees for me, though....I think its back to a Bean Haus next year.
 In the same vein of not even being aware that these plants are producing yet, found these two enormous okra yesterday. I haven't even been looking at these plants yet, since they're only about 18" tall so far.  I was expecting them to get at least 2 or 3 feet tall first.  These are from the Burmese Okra plants.  Not even gonna try them...huge okra are always too woody for me.  But I will start looking these over more carefully.
 This is the first Lemon Boy tomato that I've brought in.  A beautiful orange-yellow. Will be tasting it tonight!
 The datura flower bloomed and lost all of that pretty lilac color.  Totally white!  There were two of them and they only lasted two days, then drooped and fell off.
 I finally have some of the Velvet Queen sunflowers showing up!  Very pretty dark orange and some more yellow with streaks of orange and red.  Very pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment