Sunday, June 9, 2013

Bread & Butter Pickles

Whew...I may have over-done the cucumbers! These little Collier Cucumbers are very prolific....so I needed to make some pickles this weekend.  This is one of the easiest recipes I found.  These are refrigerator pickles, meaning that they need to be kept in the fridge since they aren't processed, but I'm sure we'll use them fairly quickly since its the season of BBQ!
 Wash and trim the ends off the cucumbers (about 5 pounds or whatever you have), slice and put in a deep bowl.  Cut up a whole medium onion (or less if you don't care for the onion taste) and add to the bowl.  Sprinkle on 1-1/2 tablespoons of Kosher salt.  Cover with cold water and a tray of ice cubes, cover and put in the fridge for at least 3 hours.  I actually left them longer since we had KT over, so I had to finish when I had time!
 Take out of the fridge and rinse the salt water off.  Pack them cucumbers and onion into sterilized jars or containers.  I used a big one gallon jar, but these would be fine in regular mason jars.
Create the syrup in a saucepan: 1 c white sugar, 1 c white vinegar, 1/2 c apple cider vinegar, 1/4 c packed brown sugar, 1-1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp celery seeds, 1/8 tsp ground tumeric.  Heat until the sugars are melted.  (I had to double this recipe, since I had quite a few cucumbers to put up.)  Pour the hot syrup over the cucumbers to cover, put the lids on and refrigerate after the jar has cooled to room temperature. 
Should be okay to start eating in about 24 hours, but I tried a few this morning and they were good!   I'm sure they will only get better as they sit!

No comments:

Post a Comment