Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Today in the garden....

Today I decided to go for it!  I started planting the spring vegetable garden.  I have 6 raised beds now, and 3 beds in the back field, so it will take me a while to get these all done, but it felt SOOOO good to get started!
First, I put in the 6 tomatoes in their towers.  They were already put together, so it was only a matter of pruning away some of the bottom leaves and then planting them deeply.  I try to plant about 2/3rds of the total plant to give them a good start.
The tomatoes are: San Marzano, Juliet, Hillbilly, Aunt Ruby's German green, Isis Candy, and the Lemon Boy.  I decided to put the Blush in a pot instead as it's looking a little spindly.  Not sure what's going on with it, but I'm going to baby it along.
This big guy was in one of the tomato towers! Huge, but the chickens made fast work of him!
My garden markers this year.  This actually says Calima Bean, but its hard to read with the water droplets on it.  Sigh...
I planted 3 out of the 4 sections of bed #6 with bush beans: Calima BeansFrench Garden Beans (both from Baker Creek), and Golden Wax Beans from Burpee Seeds.

 Then I planted 3/4ths of bed #4 with peppers and tomatillo plants.  All of the peppers I purchased as plants recently - 6 green peppers, 6 TAM jalapeno plants, a pimento pepper, a hot yellow pepper, a giant green pepper plant, and a "snacking pepper" plant, which is a small sweet pepper.
I put in a slew of these little purple tomatillo plants that I started from seed.  I got these in California last year when we visited with JR and Ashley and took a trip to the Baker Seed Bank.  Great germination, even though these seeds were a year old already.  The last plant was a single green tomatillo plant that I purchased.
That's enough for today....we "may" have rain tonight which would be great.  I'm actually trying to remember what rain looks like.  Crossing fingers that it does!


No comments:

Post a Comment