Friday, April 29, 2022

My Dollar Store Garden Tower

 Last year I bought a bunch of the 3 sided garden stackers that the Dollar Tree was selling.  My idea was to use them for the Micro Dwarf Tomatoes.  I grew a bunch and made a small stack for JR/Ashley/Max and for Jeff/Colleen/KT/Joss. Sadly they just aren't right for those tomatoes - they dried out quickly and I don't think the depth if enough for them.

So -- what to do with these stackers???  I had 5 left over and went and bought another 3, so my stack could be 8 total.  I thought I'd try greens and see if they'd grow better in the root space.

I transplanted a few Chinese cabbages, two types of spigariello, a collard, spinach and Novatina. I have it standing in between two peach trees in the potted garden and so far it's performed magnificently! I really could not have guessed how well all of these would do, some sun during the day and some shade in the late afternoon. 


I've cut greens twice now and we're using most of these for salads, except for the collards, which we'll eat with a meal. I'm continuing to fertilize it every two weeks and fully expect it to last until the real heat begins. 

Very pleased and I might add another stack in the fall!

After I wash these greens well in cold water, I use my salad spinner and then lay them out on paper towels, roll them up and store in a plastic bag in the fridge. They last a really long time this way.






No comments:

Post a Comment