Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Plums

The plums have all been harvested and we got a total of about 22 pounds of plums, mostly from our older Methley tree, and about 2 pounds of the total from the Santa Rosa trees in the orchard.

On Tuesday I made two quarts of plum cordial with some of them. 
 Wash and score or poke holes in the plums, then pack in a sterile quart jar.
 Add 1/2 cup of sugar.
 Pour to cover with white vodka (you can use rum, gin or even whiskey)
 Cover and put away for 30 to 60 days. 


Then I put 6 trays of plum halves in the dehydrator.  They are very delicious little prunes now, and I packed them into 1-1/2 ounce packets using the vacuum sealer.
 Halved plums on the dehydrator sheets.
 Divided into 1-1/2 ounce packages.
Vacuum sealed.

Today I cut up 4 more pounds and started a batch of plum wine. Tomorrow I'll add the yeast and stir daily for five days, then transfer to a carboy. 

Now I think I have just about enough to make some Plum BBQ sauce.  I need a few supplies from the grocery store to make that, so probably won't get to that until the weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment