Monday, April 10, 2017

Spring Garden Log -- April 10, 2017

On Friday I finished planting the second side of the Squash House - more beans and some actual squash (ha!) this time.
Inside row is:

  1. Climbing French Beans - Seed Saver's Exchange
  2. White Emargo Beans - Seedsnow.com

Outside row is:

  1. Asparagus Long Beans - saved seeds
  2. Metro F1 Butternut Squash - Johnny's Selected Seeds

 On Saturday I started looking around for places to plant a few winter squashes - I'm running out of room in the garden! This is what happens when you're a seed-a-holic, I guess.  I planted one hill of Kikuza Squash (Baker Heirloom Seeds) at the end of Bed #4, just outside of the actual covered bed. It won't mind the sun and I'm pretty sure the water system will hit it, so hopefully it will do well there.
 Next, I bargained with John to allow me to plant some on top of his compost pile! The pile is about two years old and it's full of some great composted soil now. He even fixed up a sprinkler on there for me. Score!!
There's a hill of each of these on the four corners of the pile:

  1. Fortuna White Pumpkin - Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
  2. Kamo Kamo Squash - Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
  3. Seminole Pumpkin - Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
  4. Sweet Meat Squash - Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

 So now all of the main garden is done.  Next up - start weeding and fertilizing again. Sigh.....

The amaranth that's out in the vineyard is looking fabulous. I've never grown it before, but this looks pretty, doesn't it? Lush!  Behind it is all of those sorghum seeds I put in - they're up and growing, too.

This morning I was up and out the door early enough to catch our Angel Trumpet Datura in bloom! This plant is such a show stopper once it gets growing each year - just beautiful (and deadly!) It's amazing how many plants we commonly grow that are poisonous, isn't it? Those hooked claw corners on the flower just complete that deadly look.





No comments:

Post a Comment