Monday, August 1, 2016

Wine Season -- Elderberry Wine

All of the elderberries are picked.  I ended up with a total of 16 pounds of berries on the stems, and a total of 12.7 pounds after all the stems and green berries were removed. It took about 3 days of working at it in the afternoons and evenings to remove all the berries. What a chore!

 Crushing the berries with a glass bottom - then add boiling water. This was one batch, but I had enough for three batches, with berries left over.
 Add sugar, orange juice, lemon juice, grape juice concentrate, and yeast nutrient. 
 After it cooled to 90 degrees, add the wine yeast.
Total I think I'll have about 4 gallons of wine to put in the big carboy in a few days. This has to sit and ferment now for 3 days, then I'll strain out the berries and let it sit again for about 3 days.

More updates as we take the next step on Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment