Sunday, August 21, 2016

Summer Garden Notes -- August 20, 2016

It's still mostly all okra and peppers now.  John and I cut back the tomatoes, severely, and they are slowly sending out new shoots, but it might be a few weeks to see any tomatoes again.  I spent one afternoon making more fried okra for the freezer.
 I'm also pulling up all of the onions that I planted in the spring - they didn't do very well, but I'm drying those that I have.  This tray of mixed white, yellow and red onions dried in the oven overnight. I like the toasty taste that gives them.
 It's so hard to catch the okra before it's overgrown, but I've kept a few of the bigger pods to dry for next years okra.  I'm only keeping the Silver Queen - its the best okra plant we've ever grown.  Prolific and tasty.  The Gold Coast is nice, but not as prolific and gets "woody" too quickly. I won't get that one again.
Getting ready for the fall garden now, too.  I started this tray of Brussels sprouts and cabbage this past week. It's out on the porch on a heating pad, since we've had such mild weather lately.  Lots of rain and no sunshine.  
These are:
  • Long Island Catskill Brussels Sprouts
  • Cabbage, Golden Acre
  • Cabbage, Red Express
  • Cabbage, Danish Ballhead
  • Cabbage, Gonzalez F1
  • Cabbage, Savoy Perfection
  • Cabbage, Early Flat Dutch

 I'm hoping to try my hand at sauerkraut this year if any of these survive.

On Friday I pulled all of the tomatoes out of the freezer and processed those that I had in the fridge for a last batch of salsa.  This made 5 pints and 6 half pints.  Sadly, we're eating this stuff as fast as I'm making it! ha! Oh well, that's what its for, right?

 On Friday morning I found my pot of kale had exploded with growth again - I'm sure the rain we've been having has helped it along.  I still love kale...I'm hoping to have quite a bit of it in the fall garden, too.
Look at these beautiful Candy Apple Red Peppers that I picked on Friday!! Also a big bunch of jalapenos again. I think we're going to try our hand at making some jalapeno poppers for the freezer with some of these.  Should be fun to try.
None of the tomato seeds that I planted a few weeks ago germinated, so I'm going to start those again.  This time I'm pre-germinating the seeds to see if any of them are viable.  We'll see how that goes in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment