Monday, May 9, 2016

Spring Garden Notes - May 9, 2016

The garden is growing by leaps and bounds. I can't keep up with the weeds, but I'm doing the best I can. The various summer squash are already at the picking stage, and I've brought in about 2-1/2 pounds of squash so far.
 Alexandria Squash and one Gentry Yellow Squash

 Young Butterdish Yellow Squash
 Table Dainty squash 
 This is a very young Japanese Pie Squash on the Squash House
Lebanese Marrow Squash planted in a tire

All of the green beans are flowering now, and some have tiny green beans on them.  These will be ready to pick in a few days.

 Flowers on the purple pod bean plants
These purple pod beans are supposed to be a bush bean, but some didn't seem to get the memo - they are sending out some long tendrils!

I'm finally getting some nice sized spinach plants in the potted garden. The plants in the main garden are just not growing well, I'll probably turn those over and plant something else there this week.

The Litchi tomato plant is growing huge!

I'm checking these huckleberries every day to see if they are "softening up" any, as I've read they aren't ripe until they get soft.  There are berries on each of the six plants now.

I'm getting lots and lots of snow peas now, and I'm having to put some in the freezer.  We like them fresh, but don't eat them fast enough....
.... so these will be the star of some future stir fry dishes.


Checking the various cucumber plants, and there are some little cucumbers on these Double Yield plants.
I'm thinning out the onion plants to allow some to grow big, so John loves to eat these in his morning eggs, in soup, on salads, and on just about everything.  We keep a container of these in the fridge for him to use.


We're seeing peppers now, too! 
I believe this is the Candy Red pepper, so we'll allow these to turn red before picking.
 Gold Sweet Pepper
I picked the first Gypsy pepper!

No comments:

Post a Comment