Monday, April 4, 2016

C is for Celery

Ridiculous, I know it.  Why spend time growing celery when it's so inexpensive in the store? I can assure you, it's not something I plan to do as a routine, but I was curious about what it would take to grow a head of celery like those that you see in the grocery store.

This one plant (Utah Tall variety) is the only survivor of seeds I planted for the fall garden, last September! The stalks are tied up together to keep them from sprawling out.

Let's count...that would be 9 months to get to this point! Whaaa??? I know, ridiculous! Who dedicates any amount of precious garden space to plants that take this long to grow?

It's been an interesting experiment, though, and I'm sure we're going to savor this plant one day, if it ever gets to the point of harvest.  I'm still waiting....



No comments:

Post a Comment