Thursday, February 25, 2016

Winter Garden Notes, February 25, 2016

It feels just wrong to call this a "winter" garden update, but technically it is still winter for another month, right? It just doesn't feel like winter here in Texas.
John's been busy finishing up the fence around the vegetable garden for me.  It's going to be so much easier to get around in there and to keep the rabbits out! Love it!  He also tilled Bed#1 for me.

 Side view
 Front view, gate
 Wiring the posts

I've been spending some time making my lettuce seed mats, those will go in pretty soon.  I use the cheapest napkins I can buy, touch of plain old school glue to a wooden skewer, pick up a seed and place it in a pattern on the napkins.  I get 9 plants on each 1/4 napkin, total of 36 per napkin.


 Place a second napkin over the seeds and press down.
 Don't forget to write what type seed you're using!  Such an easy way to plant these tiny seeds, I'll just rake back a bit of dirt, then place the napkins down in a pattern, then sprinkle 1/4 inch of soil over the top and water them in.  The glue will dissolve.  This method has worked very well for me the past couple of years.
 The types I'm growing this year (all from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange) are:

  • Jericho
  • Parris Island Cos
  • Buttercrunch
  • Sierra

I started a set of 18 Swiss Chard plants in the greenhouse to put out in the main garden in a few weeks.  This year I'm planting Ruby Red Swiss Chard.
 John helped me set up a support for the Snap Peas that I put in on Wednesday.

 This year I'm growing:

  • Oregon Sugar Pod
  • Oregon Giant

 And today we received the three bare root Nanking Cherry bushes that I ordered.  These will be planted sometime this weekend, meanwhile I put them loosely in soil to keep the roots moist.
Lots to do in the next few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment