Monday, February 22, 2016

Winter Garden Notes, February 22, 2016

It's definitely been a different year for my seed starting endeavors this year -- lots of disappointment, with a few successes.  I'm not sure why, as I'm doing all the same things I did last year, but who knows.  I'm beginning to just learn to accept that there are things I can't control and move on....
 The tomatoes have been a success, and they are picking up well after being transferred to the small pots. These are the 10 Fingers of Naples, and the Rapunzel tomatoes - I have managed to get three healthy plants of each.
 The peppers have been another story.  I've always read that peppers are persnickety, and it's been true for me.  Only 1 good plant of the gypsy peppers that I planted, and a few of the cayenne peppers came up, but then promptly died.  Sigh....  Oh well, I'll be buying my pepper plants this year again, it seems.

I've planted three rhubarb roots that I found as we were walking through the local Tractor Supply store the other day.  Well, why not? I might as well give them a try.  These are perennials, so they might make a good addition to the fruit on the property.

(Since this blog is also my garden journal, I'm including this care information card.)

 I placed them where our old fish pond used to be.  Hopefully they will come up soon! The wire cages are just to discourage the dog from digging them up during the night.  They will come off as soon as we see some growth.
Signs of life on the orient pear tree!

 The oldest pear tree has sprung into action.  This is the Rio Grande peach tree.  Praying we don't have a late freeze now!
John's been working on the vineyard.  He added three more half rows which will include another 15 grapes.  He's busy working on the automatic watering system there.

He's also fencing in the vegetable garden so that it will be rabbit proof (and chicken proof, and turkey proof, and dog proof!) Hopefully the final fence we'll have to build in that area.

It's been so warm here, and the winter was so mild. We're praying for rain right now, and it's teased us - but nothing worthwhile yet.  We keep hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment