Friday, July 5, 2013

Movie Review --- The Lone Ranger

Well....I have to say....I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised!  This movie was a lot of fun!
The makers of this movie definitely went for the humor (I guess I should have expected that, with Johnny Depp involved.)  Depp plays a bit of the quirky soul that made us all love his Pirate Jack (I loved movie 1, not so much the next 2.) And the set up with an old version of Tonto related the story to a big-eyed cutie-pie kid was inspired.  Really well done.
This is basically another cop buddy film, only with the uptight Ranger being one buddy, and an oddball Comanche Indian playing the other. Both have issues they have to work through, some very amusing.  I laughed out loud several times.  Tonto is not the side-kick in this movie, he is an equal, if not superior, partner.
There's lots of action for you action buffs out there, and a little romance (in the way of sly glances and only one kiss) but I don't think we go see a movie called The Lone Ranger for romance anyway.
Did you know that Kimo Sabe means "wrong brother?" Ha ha ha! You have to see the movie to get the reference....I can't tell all the spoilers here.
The place was packed...I thought everyone had come to see the new Despicable Me movie, but our theater was very full...we had to move around to accommodate everyone who tried to get in.  We saw several couples our age or a bit younger, some bringing their parents, and lots of families with teens. Lots of us out there remember the original TV program.
As we were leaving, we noticed that the Boerne theater had actors in the lobby dressed as the characters in the movie! Nice touch, Boerne Starplex!
I'm giving it 4 stars! Go see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment