Friday, February 15, 2013

What I'm Reading --- Monster Hunters International

I've read so many great reviews about this book for the past year, I just had to give it a try, so I bought it in audible form so that John and I could listen to it to and from New Mexico on our long drive.
It did NOT disappoint!  So funny, a wonderful premise (begins with an accountant, Owen Pitt, staying late at work, hears his boss rustling around in his office, and opens the door to find that his boss has turned into a werewolf!)  The battle ensues and Owen Pitt's life will never be the same.

It seems that monsters are real, and the government and this organization, Monster Hunters International, are trying to keep them in check so the naive humans don't find out and panic.  Owen does such a good job of killing the werewolf, he catches the eye of MHI and is recruited.
The author does a great job of creating characters that you will care about.  We laughed out loud several times as we listened to the book.  There are monsters of every style and type to fight or bring into the fold - vampires, orcs, creatures from other dimensions, all kinds!

If I had any criticism, I would say that the author goes into so so so so much detail about he various weapons his MHI team uses.  Some people may enjoy that, but it was a bit much for me.  You can tell that that Larry Correia really enjoys his guns.  And his poor hero, Owen, gets his ass beat to the extreme max in every battle.  But believe me, the entire book is so enjoyable, these small details can be ignored.  There are two more books in this series and I'm planning on listening to them, too.  The reader, Oliver Wyman, was perfect! He mastered the various voices, even the women, and played the humor and sarcasm very well.
I give it 4 stars!!

No comments:

Post a Comment