Saturday, June 9, 2012

Putting up the Jalapenos...

Today I had to put up some of the produce we've been harvesting, so I started with the jalapeno peppers. Those pepper plants are really producing.
I used a recipe that I found online that was adapted from the old Ball Jar Complete Book of Home Preserving.

I put on disposable gloves, first thing, when handling jalapenos...I've worked with them before without and I've lived to regret it!  I washed the peppers then cut them into rings.
 While I was doing that I was also boiling the jars, lids and rings in hot water to be sure they were sanitized.  Then I put the garlic in the bottom of each jar, filled the jars with the peppers, put a bay leaf in and then added the salt and the rest of the garlic on the top.  

Then I heated the vinegar and water, poured over the peppers, and put the jar top, and ring on.  They say not to tighten the ring, just put it on and screw on lightly.
Put the jars down in a water bath and boil for 10 minutes.
When I pulled them out and put them on the counter, the tops "popped" which is sign that they've sealed properly.
Aren't they gorgeous!!  Can't wait to try them in a few weeks.

1 comment: