Monday, April 30, 2012

What I'm Reading --- Enclave

I've just finished reading Enclave, by Ann Aquirre.  It was recommended as a book in the same genre as The Hunger Games, and it is similar, but reminded me more of a City of Ember, if you remember that movie.  It does involve teenagers, as the entire community lives underground, and to be considered old in this society, you are in your twenties.

The teaser, from BooksonBoard where I get my eBooks: New York City has been decimated by war and plague, and most of civilization has migrated to underground enclaves, where life expectancy is no more than the early 20's. When Deuce turns 15, she takes on her role as a Huntress, and is paired with Fade, a teenage Hunter who lived Topside as a young boy. When she and Fade discover that the neighboring enclave has been decimated by the tunnel monsters--or Freaks--who seem to be growing more organized, the elders refuse to listen to warnings. And when Deuce and Fade are exiled from the enclave, the girl born in darkness must survive in daylight, in the ruins of a city whose population has dwindled to a few dangerous gangs. 


I enjoyed this book, and it kept my interest to the end.  It's short, only a little over 200 pages, and definitely leads into the next book in the series.  I believe she has written three in this Razorland series.  This one ends abruptly, too much so in my opinion.  If I had one criticism, that would be it.  I'll have to continue with Deuce's story in the next book, Outpost, sometime in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment