Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Garden Log --- February 19, 2019

Still working on cleaning up the fall/winter garden. I brought in all the rest of the kale, which was still looking quite beautiful - a huge bunch of Casper, Blue Scotch, and Premier kale.  This Mind Blowing Kale salad was part of our supper the other night, and surprise - surprise!! John even liked it!  
Still plenty of kale left, so I'm thinking a creamy chicken kale soup, like this one, probably this week one day.

More of the tomato starts I'm babying along in the greenhouse.  I'm running out of room, as usual, but I'm thinking there's only a few more nights that I'll have to keep them warm in the next month or so.
This Early Ssubakus Aliana is from China and is a yellow paste tomato.  I'm growing this one for seeds for my Facebook group.
I save the seeds for this Kumato tomato from fresh tomatoes I bought at the grocery store.  I believe it's probably a hybrid and I'm curious if it will grow true or not, but from what I've read on the web it has for others.   It's a brown large cherry and the taste was amazing. I've saved seeds from several store bought tomatoes this year, but this is the first I've planted.
Honeybunch is a hybrid F1 that I'm curious about also.  There seems to be several versions of this name out there, and it's going to be either a grape tomato in orange or yellow, or a red cherry. Ha! I got these seeds in a trade, so not sure what I've got here.
Black From Tula is a Russian tomato with dark brown shoulders.  I've heard about this one for years but this is the first time I've grown it.  
Monkey Ass is an oxheart tomato, supposedly a good paste type tomato with few seeds inside.  I'm growing it for the name -- you have to admit that's pretty funny!
 This Hundreds and Thousands tomato is destined for a hanging basket. I'm looking forward to seeing if it will be as productive as advertised! 
Here is Valentine, another hybrid grape type that I got from Totally Tomatoes. 
Purple Bumblebee is an artisan cherry, dark with some green/bronze striping. This should be a pretty little tomato!

I also brought in all of one of the corn salads, the Dutch version.  I do like corn salad, its a delicate lettuce like green that I use in salads. It was fine all through the winter - didn't need to be covered at all.
The French Corn Salad is also all picked -- they looked exactly the same.  I honestly can't tell the difference between the two.

The last of the endive is also picked - this one is called Green Curled.
 The various snow peas have started to produce! I've brought in several hands full and there's plenty more out there. The plants are so thick that I have to really search to find them, though!
 Nothing prettier then pea blossoms!
John has been working on the vineyard - he's replaced a few plants and is re-working the watering system to bring it more in line with what is recommended.  He's slowly been replacing all of the plants with Black Spanish and Champanel grapes.  
The aloe plants have been blooming in our greenhouse - such beautiful peachy blooms.  Almost all of them have bloomed and reproduced all winter long.  I have a big job coming up in dividing these plants again.  I'm going to put some out at our gate this year in a permanent bed, I'll just provide them with cover next winter if they need it - these things are just so huge.
 And one of the pear trees has started to bud - this is the Orient!  The other pear tree hasn't shown any sign yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment