Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Spring Garden Log -- May 3, 2017

Just a little tour around the garden today and some of what I've been harvesting.  I've been spending this week wrapping the new fruit trees and putting metal name tags on them, with the date they were planted.  But I do take a tour of the garden every day in the morning and the evening. I love watching how it's progressing.

 The blueberries tomato plants are just covered in these cascades of cherry tomatoes.  I discovered that I actually have two of these plants going - it looks like I mislabeled one of the plants in the greenhouse this winter.  I'm not complaining, I think these are going to be something!
 I brought in some of the oakleaf lettuce yesterday - it held up a little better then I thought it would to the washing and spinning. It's in the fridge and we'll be eating this batch tomorrow.
 I also brought in a handful of the tomatillos - some yellow and some green. These things feel like they're covered in glue when you peel away their cute little jackets. Looking forward to some salsa with these.
 Now that the spinach was harvested, these little celery plants are able to get some sun. These are a long term project - I know they take a long while to look like a head of celery you buy in the store.
The spinach patch is coming back for a second cutting! These plants are growing lots of new leaves! 
 The garden huckleberries are starting to turn purple!
 Can you see my first little green bean?  These are the Jade bean plants.  I think we'll be picking green beans in about a week or so.
I pulled a few sample beets to see how they are growing.  The lighter ones are the Chiogga, and the darker are the Cylindra beets.  Looking good! 
 Savoy cabbage
 I didn't get the number of cabbage that I was dreaming of, but I think we'll get about 6 heads by the time they are done growing.  There's some bigger savoy cabbage and some smaller cabbages.  They are just starting to form heads.
 The sage plant is looking real happy - this one's been in the garden for two years. I cut it back totally during the winter and mulched it, and it came roaring back this spring!
I cut a few kale leaves to have in a salad. All of the kale is looking so good.  These are Siber Frill on the top, Lacinato (dinosaur) kale in the middle, and one leaf of Blue Curled Scotch. All are just lovely.

Today I froze a few bags of peaches - I have a little over 30 pounds of peaches on trays on the kitchen table ripening. It's a good problem to have, but looks like I'll be peeling and freezing peaches for quite a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment