Saturday, April 9, 2016

H is for Huckleberry

This is my experiment for the spring garden this year - huckleberries.  These are Garden Huckleberries, the seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.  I started them in the greenhouse and transplanted out to the main garden in March.  They are about 2 foot tall already, and according to what I've read, they could get even taller. We shall see.  I managed to get 6 good plants to survive.
 According to the company, you must eat only fully ripened fruit, and they have to be cooked - not eaten raw.  Some articles suggest adding baking soda to them when cooking to remove bitterness.  According to some of the comments I've read across the internet, these really do produce, but take quite a while.  Can't wait to see what we get!

"I'm your huckleberry..." - Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone 


No comments:

Post a Comment