Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Winter Garden Notes, January 5, 2016

Well, here we are - 2016. The years just seem to whiz by faster and faster as we get older.  I fixed some of our Mississippi Silver cow (black-eyed) peas for the New Year -- down south here it's what we eat to assure good luck in the new year.  This was the last of this variety that I grew back in 2013.  Very good with a ham bone from our Christmas ham.
 We also are still enjoying these beautiful maroon Sleeping Lady tomatoes from the greenhouse.
 A few days ago I chopped down all of the spinach from one of the pots in the greenhouse -- these will continue to sprout up from the roots.
This pot of radicchio also found its way into our salads.  This is the Rossa di Treviso variety.  I've noticed that it doesn't develop a lot of red color when grown in the greenhouse - it's there, but subtle.
Rossa di Treviso Kale
And here's how the same pot looks after I mowed it down! I know some people pick these leaves individually around the edges, but I just don't have that kind of patience.
I've been enjoying looking at this Japanese weeding sickle that I got for Christmas! I can't wait for the spring garden to begin using it.  (Well sure, I could use it in the winter garden, but that would be a lot of work out there in the cold.... ha!)
Speaking of weeds, two of these plants have sprung up in a part of the garden that I didn't plant.  I think they are the same radicchio that I have in the greenhouse, but its definitely red out there in the open garden.  I'm not sure, though, since I didn't actually plant them.  I think the chickens will enjoy these, though, so they won't go to waste.
 A quick check in with the celery plants - growing slowly.
Following are a few pictures from two mornings ago - we had the heaviest frost yet this winter.  The kale and other plants were coated -- I think they are just so beautiful with the covering of frost.
 Red Russian Kale
 Dwarf Siberian Kale
Cauliflower

No comments:

Post a Comment