Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Movie Review --- The Martian

First, you have to know that I went to see this movie reluctantly, and only because John really, really wanted to see it.  He hardly EVER asks to really see a movie, and mostly goes because he knows that I love anything sci-fi or fantasy, so when he asked me to go, I could not say no.

I personally wouldn't give Matt Damon, the star of the movie, five cents, much less the price of a ticket. What a crapster this guy is. (Can you tell I just don't like him?) It's too bad he starred in this movie, because it was FANTASTIC.  It was probably one of the best movies I've seen in 2015.  It pains me to say it.  Really.

Based on a novel by Andy Weir, the story is about a team of astronauts on a mission on Mars.  During a bad storm, one of the team members is swept away and assumed dead, while the rest of the team abandon their mission because their ship was in danger of being damaged.  They are on their way back to Earth when they find out he's still alive.

The character, Mark Watney, is the real focus of the movie, though, and he carries much of the action.  He's the botanist on the team, and he just happens to be the one with the skills needed to address his immediate needs, food - air - water. He's not a quitter.  He's a problem solver, and that is what keeps him alive (oh, and the fact that the team has left a LOT of materials on the planet that he would need.)  And he's pretty funny, talking to his video log throughout all of his trials.  My favorite line - "I'm going to have to science the sh*t out of this." There's the perfect balance of action, drama and comedy.  So well done.

You will love this movie.  I guarantee it.  Go see it, and don't think about the fact that Matt Damon is getting some of the $$$ from this film.  Think of it as rewarding Andy Weir for writing such an excellent tale, and Ridley Scott for directing.

PS: Oh, and THIS would have made the movie even better.  Too bad they didn't ask Chris first.
(Source: Nerdist.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment