Sunday, May 10, 2015

Spring Garden Notes, May 10, 2015

Not much going on in the garden the last couple of days, just picking vegetables every day and spending time cleaning and putting them up.
 The elderberries have bloomed! All three of the larger plants (York and Adams) have blooms on them.  The fourth plant is starting to come back up from the roots, so it will catch up with the others in a year or two.  One of the plants at the back of the row is over 6 foot tall now.  I'm going to try my hand at wine if we get enough berries this year.
 The Malabar spinach is just about to vine!
I picked a few of the Sleeping Lady tomatoes as they have started to turn color.  I hate to leave them too long as I don't want to lose them to the bugs. They will ripen on the window sill.
Today's harvest - the last of the snow peas, a few broccoli side shoots, and the first big mess of green beans! These are mostly Calima and a few Jade. Yum!
 
The bees are all over the buckwheat plants - it's a buzzin' in there!
Not sure if you can see the pollen sack on this bees leg - it is huge! If you need pollinators in your garden, I can highly recommend this plant.


No comments:

Post a Comment