Monday, April 7, 2014

Movie Review --- Divergent

No, I didn't read the book - but I wish I had.  I did buy it over a year ago on audio book, but the narrator of the audio version just didn't do it for me, so it didn't hold my attention very well.  Now I'm going to have to go back and try again, because the story behind this movie must be good! Plus I'm dying to know what's outside the wall.....

The story has a pretty good premise, in the same genre as The Hunger Games.  Surviving people (of some kind of apocalyptic event) are living within a walled city - and society has been divided into five different classes based on testing and inclination:  Abnegation (help others), Erudite (intelligence), Dauntless (law keepers), Candor (the honest) and Amity (peaceful farmer types).

When reaching a certain age, young people are tested to find out where they best fit in.  The story begins here with the heroine of the story, Trice. She and her family are Erudites. During her testing she finds out that she is a combination of several of the factions, called Divergent, which is frowned on, since Divergents can think for themselves.  As you might imagine -- the trouble starts then!

We really enjoyed the movie and are looking forward to the next in the series -- Insurgent. John give it 3 stars, and that's darn good for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment