Friday, March 7, 2014

Spring 2014 Garden Diary, Post 4

Today I planted another section of Bed #4 in Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach, about a 2' x 5' bed.  I've not had good luck with spinach in the past, and I just don't know why I can't seem to grow it.  I pre-soaked the seeds, so maybe that will give them a better start.  We'll see.
Then I put in the two artichoke plants that survived - I had four but two of them just shriveled up and died in their little pots - no idea why, I don't have much (any) experience with this plant, but the two that are left still look healthy. The variety is called Green Globe.  We'll see how it does.

Yesterday I planted the ten Jersey Supreme asparagus roots that I've had in my fridge for the past month - I followed a tutorial from YouTube! They look a little like some kind of sea creature, don't they?
The peas that I planted last week are already showing up, along with some very tiny beets and a few chard plants -- just poking their heads up from the soil.  Can you see the row of peas here?
Finished up by trimming back one of my sage plants that's gotten totally out of hand.  They like a good hair cut occasionally, a good dose of plant food and watering.  Then I trimmed off the tender ends of the plant for the kitchen - hanging in the pantry room until they dry. They smell just glorious.
It's supposed to start raining tomorrow, so I'll probably have to wait until next week to continue on. I wish this cold weather would move on!

No comments:

Post a Comment