Thursday, February 28, 2019

Garden Notes -- February 28, 2019

The Spring 2019 garden has commenced! Yesterday I planted the Swiss Chard:

  1. Magenta Sunset - FB Seed Group
  2. Orange - Seedsnow.com
  3. Rhubarb - Burpee Seed Co.
  4. Sea Foam - Pinetree Seeds

 and the celery:

  1. Red Venture - Trade Winds Fruit
  2. Peppermint Stick - Pinetree Seeds
  3. Kintsai Chinese - FB Garden Group
  4. Pink Plume - Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

Today I planted out the Scarlette F1 Chinese cabbage that I started in the greenhouse - I couldn't believe that I got 12 plants to survive! 

So, it's a start.  I'm going to try to put in a few things every day (with a few days off this coming week because it's supposed to be very cold again, drat!!) I have a few more other varieties of cabbages that will all be fine in the cold.

The fava bean plants have a measly two beans on them.  I'm giving up on this particular bean - I just don't think they're a good match for Texas weather. They are a beautiful plant, though....

The greenhouse is totally full -- lots of tomato plants that I've now re-potted into gallon pots, peppers, and quite a few flowers.  I'm going to be spending a few days potting up these sunflowers. There's Mammoth, Tarahumara, and Lemon Queen in this tray.
Today I potted up about a dozen morning glories - these were a few mixed colors and some Flying Saucer morning glories, which is a striped blue and white. 

I'm going to try to cover all of the cabbages this year with netting, hence this mosquito net that I found on Amazon.  It's sized to fit over a camp bed, so I figured it's about the right size.  An experiment to see how it works.
 I also found these head covers that I'm going to use to cover the tomato blossoms that I want to save seeds from.  I read another gardener who puts these over her entire plant just to be sure that no pollinators get in.  I'm kind of excited to see how this goes!
The basils that I planted a while back in some pots have started to germinate.  These little purple blobs are the Purple Ruffles basil! They're going to be so pretty when they're grown. Then there's the Lettuce Leaf basil, a pot of mixed Italian basils, and some Globe basil.  Yummm....I can taste the pesto now!


The walking stick kale has bloomed! What a gorgeous flower - I'm going to save seeds from it since it's been isolated from all the other kales.
The Orient pear has bloomed, but the Warren pear hasn't popped out any blooms yet.  These blooms are just so pretty! 
And finally -- ta da!! Peaches!

No comments:

Post a Comment