Sunday, April 10, 2022

The Worm Factory - First Compost Yield

 The worm factory I got for Christmas came with 3 levels.  I filled the first level in January, added the second in February and the third in March.  Today I emptied the 1st level from January and it was glorious, dark, beautiful compost - full of rich worm castings! 

I was amazed at how beautiful and fine it was - no clumps, no leftover food, and almost no worms. They are supposed to migrate up as you add trays, so the system worked the way it was designed. 

The other two trays had plenty of worms, and they all look really healthy. I harvested about 3 gallons of compost this time, and hopefully will continue to get the same amount every month. What a great way to use kitchen waste!

A baby straggler
Beautiful compost!



No comments:

Post a Comment