Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Fall/Winter Garden 2019 - September 24 Finally Started!

I've officially planted out for the first time -- that felt so good to get started! John's been working on the new raised beds in Garden C for me. 


We had to basically do a restart in that bed since it's the one that drowned in the Spring and weeds just took over. There will be three 3'x8' beds and one 3'x10' bed there. 

While he's been doing that, I've reworked the soil (adding new soil and my mix of bat guano, worm castings and azomite rock dust) in the Squash house and started planting the fall peas:


I'm hoping I'm not too early with these peas since its still so hot, but there is shade on the squash house, so hopefully they won't suffer.

I planted a few greens along the outside of the larger beds in front of the peas:


It was very hot and humid today, so only got 1/2 of the first bed done, and one side of the Squash house.  More tomorrow. Trying to beat the heat by going out early and again late in the day, but it's still been unbearable. 


Spinach planted today in bed C1:


I have my little cole plants under the shade of the peach tree right now, and they seem to be happy there. They're putting on their second (and third) leaves and hopefully will be ready to plant out next month. I'll be giving them a dose of HastaGrow this week to keep them happy.

And finally, I started about 24 cells of various herbs last week and they're starting to break through.  I have them on the side porch, and will be transplanting them, as they show up, into larger cups soon! Most likely these will be in the greenhouse all winter.



More garden progress tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment