Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Garden Log ---- Fall/Winter Garden 11/28/2018

The garden has been through a few freezes already, one night getting down to about 18 degrees. That's so unusual here, especially this early in the season -- we may be that cold in January or February. So the garden got blasted.  

Some of the plants did fine (all the choys sailed right through it!) Other's lost some tips of their leaves (the cabbages and cauliflower plants) and others are gone forever (beets, onions and spinach.) To be honest, the beets and spinach were pretty much gone anyway from all of the rain we had early in the fall. Sigh.... not crying, just moving on. You can't fight Mother Nature.

Meanwhile, I've got a big pot of fava beans out on the greenhouse porch. They like cold weather, I'm finding, so I'm not keeping them in the greenhouse.  

Two types of fava beans -- Extra  Precoce a Grano Violetto and Aquadulce.

In the greenhouse I have several tomato plants going - Texas Wild Cherry, White Currant, one called Spoon, Pink Bumblebee, Pearly Pink, Ampletomate Himbeerfarbig, and Venus Poppy.  Then I still have the Micro-Dwarfs from the summer going - Pinocchio, Gold Pearl, and Andrina.   

Today I set a few flats of micro-greens. Have you tried to buy lettuce in the grocery store this week? Hardly nothing there, so I thought I'd try to get some greens going. They don't take long at all, we may have greens by Christmas.

Most of my houseplants and flowers are in the outdoor kitchen that John covered for me for the winter.  That's given me a lot more room in the actual greenhouse.
 The outdoor kitchen all covered, with a heat lamp in it to keep the plants from freezing.
So I guess it's time to relax and just enjoy a few months of very light gardening.  Then it will be time to get the seedlings started for the spring. Time marches on!

No comments:

Post a Comment